Steelers notebook: All eyes on Haley
By Alan Robinson
Published: Tuesday, November 6, 2012, 5:48 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 7, 2012
The Steelers take on the Kansas City Chiefs and their NFL-worst 1-7 record Monday, and much of the focus will be on offensive coordinator Todd Haley facing his former team.
Haley was fired as the Chiefs coach after 13 games last season, a year after Kansas City went 10-6. Haley and Chiefs QB Matt Cassel had public disagreements, one after Cassel gave up early on a Haley play call and spiked the ball on a third-and-goal from the 6 against Minnesota. Haley and Ben Roethlisberger have had no such public spats.
“I think we're evolving constantly,” Roethlisberger said of the Steelers' offense. “There are things we're putting in midweek and taking out midweek. I think that's just the good balance and good working relationship that we all have, this offense, coach to player and player to coach. It's going well.”
No getting ahead
How bad have the Chiefs been in their first full season since Haley left? They have played 480 minutes of regulation this season without holding a lead. Their only win came when they beat the Saints on an overtime field goal. They were the first NFL team since the 1929 Buffalo Bisons to not lead in regulation in any of their first seven games.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- 3 arrested in break-in at Allegheny Ludlum plant
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Mt. Pleasant to dedicate new digital wall
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Connellsville’s Memorial Day features wreath toss, recitation of Gettysburg Address on 150th anniversary
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.