Pitt basketball notebook: Freshmen Adams, Robinson make starting debuts
Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012, 6:02 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012
• Center Steven Adams and guard James Robinson are both expected to start Friday. It will be the first time that Pitt has started two freshmen in a game since Jan. 6, 2004. Chris Taft and Antonio Graves — who was filling in for injured Carl Krauser — started that game. Coach Jamie Dixon said he doesn't expect the same starting five to last all season, but the group that includes guard Tray Woodall and forwards Lamar Patterson and Talib Zanna started both exhibition games. “Right now they're defending the best,” Dixon said. “I hope some guys make some strides, make some improvements.”
• Dixon said Robinson could be their best perimeter defender. “He's strong, he's got good size, good understanding and very good lateral quickness, that's the thing that stands out about him,” he said.
• Woodall returned to practice Wednesday after missing several days due to illness.
• Dixon said they don't know a lot about Mount St. Mary's because coach Jamion Christian is new to the program. At 30 years old, Christian is the third-youngest coach in Division I and came to the Mountaineers after serving as an assistant at VCU.
• Pitt has won 15 straight season openers and is 72-33 all-time dating to 1905-06. They have won 21 of the last 22 openers, with the lone loss coming against Illinois State, 69-50, on Nov. 24, 1996.
— Karen Price
- Pitt adds two more recruits
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Three-time Emmy winner, ‘Sopranos’ star James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Hempfield wrestling camp provides chance to learn from Penn State coach, sport’s best
- Mt. Lebanon School Board: Renovation project within budget
- NHL notebook: Flyers set to release Briere
- Contractor charged with theft from Jeannette
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.