Forum addresses water safety, gas drilling near reservoir
Published: Saturday, November 17, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, November 17, 2012
A panel of experts and local officials at a forum Monday will address questions and concerns about the safety of gas drilling near water sources.
The forum will emphasize Marcellus shale gas extraction near Beaver Run Reservoir, a 1,300-acre lake in the northern end of Westmoreland County that provides water to 150,000 homes.
According to a news release from the Mountain Watershed Association, panel members will include a Duquesne University biological sciences professor, Murrysville's chief administrator and a member of the Citizens for the Preservation of Rural Murrysville.
The Municipal Authority of Westmoreland County, the state Department of Environmental Protection's bureau of water quality and Consol Energy have been invited to participate on the panel.
The forum will be held at 7 p.m. at the Murrysville Community & Senior Center at 3091 Carson Ave.
The Westmoreland authority has an agreement with Indiana University of Pennsylvania researchers for quarterly testing of water samples taken from Beaver Run Reservoir.
The forum is sponsored by the League of Women Voters, Local Authority of Western Pennsylvania, Westmoreland Green Party and the watershed association.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Ordinance to restrict lions, tigers and bears in White Oak
- Slight tax increase proposed in Norwin
- Pleasant Hills sets weight limits
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
- Commissioners, sanitary authority remain at odds
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Cooke has been steadying force for Penguins in playoffs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.