Owners of former Iron City brewing complex could be fined for demolition
By Bob Bauder
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 4:42 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
The owners of the former Iron City Brewery complex face a $155 penalty for tearing down part of a smokestack on the Lawrenceville property without a permit, the mayor's office said Thursday.
This would be the second time Pittsburgh has penalized Collier Development for unpermitted work on the site.
Marissa Doyle, spokeswoman for Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, said the company had a certificate from the city's Historical Review Commission to do smokestack restoration, but failed to obtain a building permit. She said the Bureau of Building Inspection stopped work on the stack Wednesday after being notified of the situation.
Tim Frew, Collier's onsite consultant, said the company took down about 20 feet of the brick stack, which was damaged by a lightning strike. He said he was unaware the permit was required before replacement work began.
The company could be fined up to $1,000 per day if it continues to work without a permit. Frew said he applied for one on Wednesday.
In August a judge fined Collier $20,000 for tearing down two buildings on the site without a permit.
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Whitehall couple sues Pittsburgh zoo over son’s mauling by painted dogs
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Storm, rain announce cold front’s arrival
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Pitt’s McConnell-Serio adds sister to coaching staff
- North Versailles man sentenced in shooting death of friend
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
You know Pittsburgh is approaching Idiocracy when the productive people in our city are held hostage by lamebrain bureaucrats who produce NOTHING.