Coroner IDs White Township man killed in mobile home fire
An Indiana County man died Sunday evening when a fire swept through his mobile home in White Township.
County Coroner Michael Baker said Steven Brewer, 36, and his dog were found dead inside his home shortly after the fire was reported at 10:07 p.m.
“We could see the glow in the sky.” Indiana Fire Association Chief Charles Kelly said on Monday. “It was pretty much fully involved.
“When we got on scene some people were hollering that there might be somebody inside. They were not sure. After we got it knocked down, and it was safe to go in, we located (Brewer),” Kelly said.
“It was too dangerous for us to go in (earlier). Unfortunately, trailers go very quickly,” he said.
Brewer's body was found in the kitchen. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:13 p.m., Baker said.
An autopsy was scheduled and the fire is under investigation by a state police fire marshal, Baker said.
Brewer's 16-year-old son was not at home when the fire broke out and was later found safe with friends, Baker said.
Kelly said he believed Brewer was renting the mobile home at 215 Lincoln Ave. in the township's Chevy Chase section. The trailer was destroyed, he said.
Representatives of the American Red Cross were on the scene Sunday night.
“We did help out at that fire. We are assisting one (person) with shelter,” agency spokeswoman Lauren Chapman said.
Funeral arrangements for Brewer remained incomplete on Monday.
Mary Pickels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 724-836-5401 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Foreign influx in Allegheny County at ‘tipping point’
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- GM Colbert expects Roethlisberger to end career with Steelers
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Rostraver youth pastor accused of sex assault
- Rostraver youth pastor accused of sexual contact with teen girl
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Route 28 motorists to face new traffic configuration starting Wednesday
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute