Tips available to stay green during holidays
By Chuck Myers
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The green revolution has reached well into the consumer realm, making buying opportunities that can have a positive impact on the environment and household budget.
If you'd like to reduce your ecological footprint and perhaps make a green-friendly statement, including during the holiday season, a variety of websites offer green shopping tips and guidelines. Here are a few:
• Consumer Reports Greener Choices: Offers shopping info on a variety of consumer products under the “Green Shopping” drop-down menu or product icons. http:///www.greenerchoices.org
• National Geographic's Green Guide: Covers several green living topics and includes buying guides. http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/green-guide/
• Federal Trade Commission: Focuses on green shopping descriptions that consumers can use to determine whether a product is actually green. http:///www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/general/gen02.shtm
• Green America: Spotlights 10 tips for green shopping during the holidays. http:///www.greenamerica.org/programs/shopunshop/buyinggreen/HolidayTips.cfm
• Environmental Protection Agency: Provides green shopping tips, with additional links on green product purchasing. http:///www.epa.gov/osw/education/pubs/shopping.htm
Source: McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Police: Man brandished gun at foundry; no injuries reported
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Pizza shop owner waives hearing
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.