United for Women challenge grant announced during Carnegie Museum event
By Kate Benz
Published: Sunday, November 25, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, November 25, 2012
“There are women on the precipice of a crisis, and they're about to pitch forward. But we can help. ... we can pull them back,” shared hostess Laura Ellsworth.
So became the mantra for United for Women, an initiative developed by the Women's Leadership Council of the United Way that is bound and determined to make a difference during critical points in a woman's life, and serve as a bridge to something better.
“It's a force to be reckoned with,” Ellsworth continued.
Another force to be reckoned with is the dream team that is Suzy Broadhurst, Kim Tillotson Fleming, Ellen Kessler, Becky Surma and Elizabeth Terrell, who joined in the co-hosting duties during a cocktailer at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History on Tuesday.
A commitment from the WLC leadership to raise an additional $1 million during the 2012-13 United Way Campaign that will support these women in need was announced, as was a challenge grant of $100K established by Surma and Fleming and further supported by Ellsworth and Diane Holder.
“The United for Women campaign is real. ... It's about real life. We wanted to stand up for other women,” Terrell added.
— Kate Benz
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Penguins notebook: Spezza will return for Senators in Game 3
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Starkey: Robots over umps? Yes, please
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Woman charged in fatal Lawrence County accident that killed cyclist
- Gorman: Pitt hoops could soon have Western Pa. flavor
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.