Fire in elevator leads to evacuations at Century III Mall
Published: Friday, November 23, 2012, 9:46 a.m.
Updated: Friday, November 23, 2012
Black Friday almost became Blackened Friday at Century III Mall in West Mifflin.
A fire in an elevator, discovered by a maintenance worker around 9 a.m., caused evacuations of the Sears store, a salon and other businesses. The smoky fire caused little damage, and the stores began to reopen within an hour.
Assistant Chief Bill Pelikan, with West Mifflin No. 4 Skyview Volunteer Fire Company, said oil and the elevator motor burned within the shaft. A worker servicing the elevator noticed the door to an access room was hot, and called for help.
“This could have been very serious,” said Pelikan.
Mall general manager Gina Mercorelli said the smoke was “disconcerting, to say the least,” but the incident didn't deter many shoppers.
“The mall's open and it's still Black Friday,” she said.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Pools prep for summer
- Pause to remember, celebrate veterans with cookout favorites
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.