TribLIVE

| Home


Weather Forecast
 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Insider trading suspect freed on bail

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Associated Press

Published: Monday, Nov. 26, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

NEW YORK — A former hedge fund portfolio manager accused of enabling a quarter of a billion dollars in profits by passing along inside information in one of the largest insider trading fraud cases in history appeared in a Manhattan court for the first time Monday and was released on $5 million bail, though his movements were restricted.

Mathew Martoma, 38, of Boca Raton, Fla., was read his rights by U.S. Magistrate Judge James Cott, who agreed to impose a bail package that prosecutors and Martoma's lawyers had worked out after his initial court appearance in Florida last week. He had been free on $5 million bail in Florida as well. Martoma must post $2 million in cash or property by next week to satisfy bail requirements.

Martoma was arrested last week on charges that between 2006 and 2008, he helped engineer one of the largest insider trading frauds in history. Martoma worked with CR Intrinsic Investors, an affiliate of SAC Capital Advisors. Steven A. Cohen, one of the world's richest men, owns SAC.

Martoma was arrested on Nov. 20 in Florida. Prosecutors say he exploited an acquaintance with a medical school professor to get confidential, advance results from tests of an Alzheimer's disease drug.

They say he shared the information with others, enabling more than $276 million to be made illegally. The government said in court papers that he caused other investment advisers to buy shares in the drug companies, and then he and the others ditched their investments before the public found out about the drug trial's disappointing results, allowing them all to make big profits and avoid huge losses.

The FBI subpoenaed SAC and other influential hedge funds in November 2010.

SAC spokesman Jonathan Gasthalter has said the company and Cohen are cooperating with the inquiry and “are confident that they have acted appropriately.”

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
  2. Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
  3. Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
  4. SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
  5. Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
  6. Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
  7. ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
  8. Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
  9. Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
  10. Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
  11. Blue Jackets notebook: Columbus wants another crack at playing with lead
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.