Ohio man gets jail for mocking disabled girl
By The Associated Press
Published: Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 7:36 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 28, 2012
CANTON, Ohio — A northeast Ohio man accused of making fun of a young girl with cerebral palsy has been sentenced to a month in jail.
Canton Municipal Judge John A. Poulos ordered the maximum sentence for 43-year-old William Bailey, who pleaded no contest Tuesday to reduced misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and aggravated menacing.
The (Canton) Repository reports that Bailey was caught on cellphone video at a school bus stop in October making fun of how the 10-year-old disabled girl walks. The video of him seemingly imitating her limp was disseminated online and on local TV news. Bailey denied he was mocking the girl, saying he was reacting to name-calling directed at his 9-year-old son.
Bailey apologized to the girl and her family in a statement Tuesday.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins’ breakdown on Alfredsson goal changes series
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Turnout light across Western Pa. as voters hit polls
- Free admission for military at Oakland’s Carnegie Museums
- Quaker Valley board will use reserve to bridge budget gap
- Senators exude confidence after stirring Game 3 victory
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
- Pitt basketball team to play in Legends Classic
- Penguins Insider: Players’ focus in right place
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
What crime did this guy commit? Being rude, insensative and just a plain jerk is not a crime. While I find his actions deplorable, I'm almost more troubled by the fact that what he did consituted a crime...and jail time! It's not abut tolerating someones deplorable behavior, it's about the 1st amendment.