Fire damages janitorial business in Derry Township
A late-night fire caused significant damage Wednesday to a Derry Township janitorial business.
Firefighters from more than a half-dozen companies responded to the 9:45 p.m. fire at New Dimension Service Industries, 1506 Latrobe-Derry Road.
Residents of an apartment building attached to the business were evacuated and the apartments ventilated.
No one was injured, said Nick Piantine, Bradenville assistant fire chief.
The fire was contained to the front of the building, Piantine said. The business sustained content, smoke and water damage.
A storage area to the office's left did not appear to have sustained much damage.
“We do janitorial work,” business owner Russell Roddy said.
Most of the equipment is kept at customer job sites, he said.
Roddy said the business is more than 25 years old and employs more than 60 people.
He said only two staff members work from the office, where the company's files were stored.
From the broken front windows, charred paperwork, buckled metal file cabinets and melted office machinery were visible.
Outside, fire hoses criss-crossed the small lot in front of the office. The cold temperatures quickly turned the pavement icy.
The cause of the fire remained undetermined Wednesday night.
Roddy said he was told the fire started on a wall near a copy machine.
Piantine said a fire marshal would inspect the damage on Thursday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Despite intimidation, women still passionate about video games
- Port Authority fires two bus drivers involved in rollover crash
- N.Y. Fashion Week out of Lincoln Center