Cleveland Browns employee kills self at practice center
By The Associated Press
Published: Sunday, December 2, 2012, 2:36 p.m.
Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012
BEREA, Ohio -- A member of the Cleveland Browns' grounds crew killed himself at their practice facility, the team said in a statement Sunday.
The man's body was found Saturday morning at the facility in suburban Cleveland, the same day Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher committed suicide in front of his coach and general manager after earlier killing his girlfriend.
Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis released a statement calling the man a good friend and an outstanding employee and saying the team's heartfelt condolences go out to his family.
"This is a terrible tragedy," the statement said. "He will be missed by everyone in the Cleveland Browns organization."
The Browns play in Oakland against the Raiders on Sunday.
A spokesman for the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner said they were called to the practice facility to investigate a suicide Saturday morning, but would not release any further details.
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- ‘We did it!’ Peduto tells city, as he defeats Wagner
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Senators get vote of confidence
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Rupert wins Democratic nod to run for sheriff
- Smeltzer loses seat on ASD board
- Lincoln takes primary
- 25 percent of voters go to polls
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.