Cancer fundraiser planners happy to have Bill Cosby on board
By Kate Benz
Published: Sunday, September 30, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, November 11, 2012
So how do you get someone like Bill Cosby to headline your charity fundraiser?
“We asked him!” said Julie McMullen, who along with her husband, Mike, co-hosted Teal Ribbon Comedy, An Evening with Bill Cosby to benefit ovarian cancer research at Magee-Womens Research Institute. “He could have said no, but he didn't. To have him here is an amazing thing.”
Also amazing was hearing Julie's personal story as an ovarian cancer survivor, and her determination to raise $1 million to support research initiatives at MWRI and the Magee-Womens Gynecologic Oncology Division.
A VIP reception saw the likes of her physician, Dr. Thomas Krivak, Arthur Scully, Dawn and Mike Gunning, Maris Bondi, Dr. Yoel and Elena Sadovsky, and emcee and WDVE Morning Show host Randy Baumann (also proving to be a star attraction) floating by.
As far as Mr. Cosby was concerned, no mixing and mingling with guests for the world-famous comedian, although his show turned out to be a near sellout.
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Penguins’ fans as young as five months brave cold to watch Game 5
- Aid group attacked by Taliban, leading to street battle in Kabul
- Court upholds most ‘kids for cash’ judge’s convictions
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen’s strikeout rate plunging
- Senators notebook: MacLean puts onus on veterans
- Penguins notebook: Cup final will host NHL awards
- WPIAL champion Blazinsky reached PIAA tennis semifinals
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Pitt stays alive in Big East baseball tournament with 12-inning win over Seton Hall
- Male wounded in Rankin shooting
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.