Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre's magical Pointe in Time evening
Much could be said for the Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre's outstanding efforts to usher close to 400 guests into a new era of swoon-worthy black-tie balls.
Pointe in Time: A Parisian Cabaret left no one wanting as the ballroom of the Westin underwent a turn-of-the-century transformation with costumed dancers and mixologist Steven Kowalczuk's absinthe bar paving the way for the Moulin Rouge tribute to take shape.
Chalk it up to a warm reception of the theme or perhaps a little je ne sais quoi, but what unfolded as the glitterati filtered into the space could be described as nothing less than a whiplash-inducing parade of pretty full-length gowns in every color of the rainbow with Peggy McKnight, Vivian Benter and Jennifer McDowell in brilliant red, Melanie Crockard in shimmering gold, Eugénie Arturo in a romantically lacy chartreuse, and Tonya Stump in a flowing soft pink.
Following cocktails, seats were taken around tables accented with moody candlelight and centerpieces of lush, scarlet hued florals a la Hens and Chicks. In between seven mouth-watering French courses that began with seared scallops and ended with gluttony, the PBT company dancers performed perfectly timed vignettes that were received with one standing “O” after another, before Gary Racan and the studio-e band ensured the dance floor stayed full well past midnight.
When it was all said and done, the evening raised more than $449K, including auction proceeds of $115K alone.
A fabulous night for all, including co-chairs David andGabriela Porges, Lynn andRon Davenport, Kitty Hillman, Kathleen Miclot, Norma and Dr. Michael Sobel, Becky and Herb Torbin, Dr. Freddie andHilda Fu, Colleen and Denny Travis, Murry andCindy Gerber, Carolyn andBill Byham, Clyde Jones, Carol Shriber andChuck Snyder, Mark andChristine Popovich, Dr. Vonda Wright andPeter Taglianetti, Richard Rauh, artistic director Terrence Orr andMarianna Tcherkassky, and executive director Harris and Janet Ferris.
Kate Benz is the social columnist for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Penguins GM Rutherford ‘wouldn’t make’ Despres trade today
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Body found during search for missing man on Youghiogheny
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- IRS cybersecurity breach touches lives of homebuyers, others
- Judge lashes UPMC, Highmark in consent decree violation hearing
- Penn Hills teenager charged in New Kensington shooting
- Tenant charged in fire that destroyed Latrobe apartment house
- Plum teacher, held for trial, vows to fight witness intimidation charge
- Pirates use big 7th inning to sweep Marlins, stretch winning streak