Coping with Kids: 'Mo's Nose' books have Christmas theme
The popular, award-winning “Mo's Nose” children's book series has two Christmas-theme books: “Mo Smells Christmas: A Scentsational Journey” and “Mo Smells the Holidays: A Scentsational Journey.” The books use Press 2 Smell technology with Aura Cacia Pure Aromatherapy oils, so that kids can smell what Mo the dog smells when they read. The books are $17.95.
Bullying brings suicidal thoughts for ages 10-17
Thirteen million children are bullied each year in the United States, and 3 million stay home from school because they feel unsafe, the U.S. Department of Education reports. Kids ages 10 to 17 are more than twice as likely to have suicidal thoughts if they've been bullied in the past year, says a recent study in the Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Tips for being party smarty during holidays
How can your daughter be a party smarty during the holidays, when she might see people who haven't seen her since she was a baby, and will meet new people? American Girl magazine, in the 2012 holiday issue, offers these tips:
• Say people's names out loud when you are introduced. It will help you remember.
• People love to talk about themselves, so ask them questions. But don't be nosy and ask about private matters like money, weight and age.
• If people ask you if you have a boyfriend and you do, then great; talk about him. If not, say something like “Nope, but I'm sure having fun with my friends from the swim team lately,” and change the subject.
• When conversations wind down, invent some games to play. Maybe try to figure out whether, among all the party's guests, you have been to all 50 states.
• Even if you love animals, don't hog the dog at a party. It's best to leave the pet alone, which it might prefer, and focus on the party's two-legged guests.
• On your way out, thank your hosts and hostesses.
Send parenting news to Coping With Kids in care of Rebecca Killian, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, D.L. Clark Building, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212, or e-mail email@example.com.