Sail into summer with bright trends
Summer signals getting away from it all, whether that means two weeks in Tuscany, Italy, or a quick trip to Annapolis, Md., with its sailboats and quirky, historic streets. Perhaps that's why this season's fashion trends bend the rules a bit. Think sundresses with sultry peekaboo cutouts, 1980s-redux neon suits, warm-weather leather and a mix of prints that could be stolen from a Hawaiian luau.
Here are a few chic suggestions.
• Try a Nicole Miller peplum dress ($420, at Neiman Marcus stores), Diane von Furstenberg Lucite Patmos heels ($195, at Nordstrom.com). Accessories here include a rhinestone bib necklace ($395, at the Sassanova boutique in Washington), pave ring by Erickson Beamon and snakedesign bracelet ($485 and $1,380, at the Tabandeh boutique in Washington).
• Maybe a Parker silk peekaboo maxi dress ($299, at Urban Chic in Washington, www.urbanchiconline.com), worn with Stuart Weitzman camel-colored wedges ($266, at Nordstrom.com and Neimanmarcus.com) and a Lola straw hat ($168, at Proper Topper stores). Other accessories include a gold textured ring ($48, Simplysoles.com), green flower drop earrings ($310, at Tabandeh) and white-shell necklace ($420, at Dinamackney.com)
• For easy travel wear, try a Vivienne Westwood jacket and shorts ($775 and $365, at Farfetch.com), Majestic Filatures long sleeve T-shirt ($120, www.joanshepp.com/store), Callan shoes by Kate Spade ($328, at The Shoe Hive in Washington and store.theshoehive.com), Kate Spade earrings ($38, at Sassanova), Erikson Beamon necklace ($2,250, at Tabandeh) and pyrite rings ($270 each, Dinamackney.com).
• Take your closet on a summer trip with printed pants, neon jackets and warm-weather leather, such as this Each x Other's striped leather biker jacket ($1,540, Barneys.com) and Alice + Olivia leather dress ($797, Neiman Marcus). Pair with Elizabeth & James wooden-heel Clair shoes ($280, at The Shoe Hive), silver-and-rhinestone drop necklace ($935, at Tabandeh), square cubed mineral ring by Dara Ettinger ($155, Simplysoles.com) and Suzanna Dai turquoise Prague button earrings ($110, at Sassanova).
• A casual traveler's outfit can center on Suno print fitted motorcycle pants ($395, Hu's Wear in Washington or Farfetch.com) and a Suno jacquard blouse ($255, at www.thecorner.com).
Holley Simmons is a staff writer for The Washington Post.