Sail into summer with bright trends
Summer signals getting away from it all, whether that means two weeks in Tuscany, Italy, or a quick trip to Annapolis, Md., with its sailboats and quirky, historic streets. Perhaps that's why this season's fashion trends bend the rules a bit. Think sundresses with sultry peekaboo cutouts, 1980s-redux neon suits, warm-weather leather and a mix of prints that could be stolen from a Hawaiian luau.
Here are a few chic suggestions.
• Try a Nicole Miller peplum dress ($420, at Neiman Marcus stores), Diane von Furstenberg Lucite Patmos heels ($195, at Nordstrom.com). Accessories here include a rhinestone bib necklace ($395, at the Sassanova boutique in Washington), pave ring by Erickson Beamon and snakedesign bracelet ($485 and $1,380, at the Tabandeh boutique in Washington).
• Maybe a Parker silk peekaboo maxi dress ($299, at Urban Chic in Washington, www.urbanchiconline.com), worn with Stuart Weitzman camel-colored wedges ($266, at Nordstrom.com and Neimanmarcus.com) and a Lola straw hat ($168, at Proper Topper stores). Other accessories include a gold textured ring ($48, Simplysoles.com), green flower drop earrings ($310, at Tabandeh) and white-shell necklace ($420, at Dinamackney.com)
• For easy travel wear, try a Vivienne Westwood jacket and shorts ($775 and $365, at Farfetch.com), Majestic Filatures long sleeve T-shirt ($120, www.joanshepp.com/store), Callan shoes by Kate Spade ($328, at The Shoe Hive in Washington and store.theshoehive.com), Kate Spade earrings ($38, at Sassanova), Erikson Beamon necklace ($2,250, at Tabandeh) and pyrite rings ($270 each, Dinamackney.com).
• Take your closet on a summer trip with printed pants, neon jackets and warm-weather leather, such as this Each x Other's striped leather biker jacket ($1,540, Barneys.com) and Alice + Olivia leather dress ($797, Neiman Marcus). Pair with Elizabeth & James wooden-heel Clair shoes ($280, at The Shoe Hive), silver-and-rhinestone drop necklace ($935, at Tabandeh), square cubed mineral ring by Dara Ettinger ($155, Simplysoles.com) and Suzanna Dai turquoise Prague button earrings ($110, at Sassanova).
Holley Simmons is a staff writer for The Washington Post.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Airmall at Pittsburgh International celebrates new stores, renovation
- Macy’s presents a rockin’ show on 3rd night of Pittsburgh Fashion Week
- In this era’s cashmere, you may be dressed to pill