Stuffed peppers, Mexican style
These pan-fried chiles rellenos are stuffed with a skinny chicken-and-corn filling. Serve with salsa or your favorite enchilada sauce.
Wash your hands thoroughly after removing the skin and seeds from chile peppers or wear rubber gloves.
Chiles Rellenos With Chicken
Active time: 1 3⁄4 hours
Total time: 1 3⁄4 hours
16 medium to large poblano peppers or large New Mexico green chiles
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1⁄2 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
2⁄3 cup flour
6 large egg whites
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
Heat a broiler.
Place the peppers (or chiles) on a large baking sheet. Broil them 4 to 6 inches from the heat source, turning once or twice, until the skins blacken and blister, for about 10 minutes total. Transfer the peppers to a large bowl, cover them with a kitchen towel and let them stand until cool enough to handle.
Remove the blistered skin, leaving the stems intact. Make a slit lengthwise in each pepper and carefully remove the seeds. Set them aside.
Combine the chicken, corn, cheese, green onions, yogurt and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a medium bowl. Fill each roasted pepper with about 1⁄4 cup of the mixture. Fold the pepper over to completely enclose the filling.
Combine the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon of salt and the flour in a shallow dish. Put the egg whites in another shallow dish and beat until frothy. Dip each pepper in the flour mixture to coat on all sides, brush off any excess and then dip each into the egg whites.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Carefully set 4 of the peppers into the hot oil and cook until the cheese is melted and the peppers are golden brown, for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove them to a platter and tent them with foil (or transfer them to a 250-degree oven) to keep warm. Repeat in 3 more batches with the remaining oil and peppers, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent overbrowning. Serve warm.
Makes 8 servings, 2 rellenos each.
Nutrition information per serving: 338 calories; 18 grams fat (7 grams saturated), 58 milligrams cholesterol, 23 grams protein, 23 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams dietary fiber, 675 milligrams sodium
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens again fail to mount comeback against Nashville
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- 2 injured in Washington County crash
- Southbound McKnight Road reopened after power line repairs
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Iraqi libraries ransacked
- As banking goes mobile, branch closures rip through local economy
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, poll finds
- Fallingwater among Wright buildings nominated for World Heritage List