Triskaidekaphobia sufferers beware: A quiz of 13 questions for Friday the 13th
Some people are superstitious about the number 13. Unless you are suffering from triskaidekaphobia (fear of the number 13), good luck on these 13 — a baker's dozen — trivia quiz questions.
1. “Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection” is being released on Blu-ray on Sept. 13. Of the previous dozen films about the maniacal hockey-masked murderer Jason Voorhees, how many actually opened on a Friday the 13th?
3. The late, great director Alfred Hitchcock was born on a Friday the 13th in 1899. Who portrayed the corpulent character in the 2012 “Hitchcock” biopic?
a) John Malkovich
b) John Goodman
c) Anthony Edwards
d) Anthony Hopkins
2. The “13th Letter” involved a doctor receiving a poison-pen letter in a Quebec hospital. Who directed this 1951 film noir starring Charles Boyer?
a) Norman Jewison
b) John Huston
c) Otto Preminger
d) Billy Wilder
4. Frank Morris (played by Clint Eastwood) occupied cell No. 113 in the 1979 film “Escape From Alcatraz,” based on the real-life 1962 escape. On Friday, Jan. 13th, 1939, how many convicts attempted an escape from this federal penitentiary?
5. On Friday, July 13, 1923, the original “Hollywoodland” sign was unveiled. In what year was the word “land” removed?
6. What TV family resided at the address 1313 Mockingbird Lane in a popular sitcom?
a) The Munsters
b) The Flintstones
c) The Addams Family
d) The Simpsons
7. Of the seven features based on 13, which one of the following is not included on the official design of the Great Seal of the United States of America?
a) 13 stars
b) 13 eagles
c) 13 letter motto
d) 13 rows of stones
8. According to U.S. government documents, who made the following statement on Friday, Nov. 13, 1789, now a popular adage, that “in this world nothing is certain but death and taxes”?
a) Andrew Jackson
b) Abraham Lincoln
c) Benjamin Franklin
d) Benedict Arnold
9. Match the stellar athlete who wore jersey number 13 to his team sport:
a) Steve Nash
b) Alex Rodriquez
c) Dan Marino
d) Matts Sundin
A) hockey (NHL)
B) football (NFL)
C) baseball (MLB)
D) basketball (NBA)
10. Liftoff of Apollo 13 was on April 11 at 13:13 (CST). What “problem” occurred on April 13 imperiling the three-man crew on this lunar mission?
a) Malfunctioning navigational system
b) oxygen tank explosion
c) slow leak in module's cabin
d) leak in zero-gravity toilet
11. What state includes the northern terminus of U.S. Route 13?
12. On Friday, Oct. 13th, Templar Grand Master Jacques de Molay and several warrior monks were arrested by the order of King Philip IV of France. The Knights Templar was coerced into providing false confessions and many were tortured to death. In what year did this occur?
13. What is the fear of Friday the 13th known as?
1. b) 5 (1982; 1984; 1988; 1983; 2006)
2. d) Anthony Hopkins
3. c) Otto Preminger
4. d) 5
5. c) 1949
6. a) The Munsters
7. b) 13 eagles
8. c) Benjamin Franklin
9. a-D; b-C; c-B; d-A
10. b) oxygen tank explosion
11. a) Pennsylvania
12. c) 1307
13. c) friggatriskdekaphobia (Norse mythology, after Frigg, a Norse goddess)
OR parratrevidekatriaphobia (a Greek derivation)
Alan G. Luke is a contributing writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Penguins GM prepares for emotional series against Carolina
- Police identify driver in North Side crash that killed pregnant woman
- No federal funds to help enforce Pa. ban on texting by drivers
- Pitt receiver Boyd continues to grow on and off the field
- Allegheny County Council wants to hike members’ $3K expense accounts
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Penguins notebook: Winning home games crucial for Penguins