22nd annual Conservation and Sportsmen’s Banquet in Hempfield
By Dawn Law
Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013
The Western Allegheny Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society hosted the 22nd annual Conservation and Sportsmen's Banquet Friday at the Ramada Hotel and Conference Center in Hempfield.
More than 200 people braved the cold to attend the auction event, which benefited the conservation group established in 1961.
The Society's mission is to restore and protect ruffed grouse and American woodcock habitats, and Pennsylvania is one of the most active states in terms of habitat projects and in chapter, membership and fundraising numbers.
There were games, prizes, drawings and auctions of firearms, artwork and collectibles.
A live auction conducted by Larry Hendrick offered a chance to bid on Remy, an English Pointer donated by David Sartoris of Latrobe.
Sartoris, a member of the event committee, attended with his wife, Teresa, and their children, LaVeda, Daniel and Porsche, who helped with raising and training the dog and her littermates.
At 4 months, Remy is already pointing to birds and represents fine confirmation, personality and temperament.
Seen: Roy and Tracey McMahan, Joe and Lisa Fredrick, Lisa Rossi, Marty Woods, with his son, Aaron, Christian Klanica, Joseph and Linda Frydrych, with their sons, Jeffrey, Joseph and Chad, Ron Duvall and Raymond Malicki, with his son, Dr. Mark Malicki.
- Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
- Blowing late lead not a good sign for Penguins
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- High school roundup: No. 1 Canon-McMillan advances after topping Penn-Trafford
- Frazier softball team advances to WPIAL Class A semifinals
- Obama meets Myanmar’s president
- Canon-McMillan wrestling coach stepping down
- Breakdown at end of Game 3 changes Senators series
- Steelers reach agreement with sixth-round pick Williams
- Police: Missing Pennsylvania man may have run off
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.