'Wine and Roses' theme is elegantly realized at Heart and Stroke Ball
An elegant event should have an elegant theme, and so it was for the 2014 Westmoreland County Heart and Stroke Ball, held March 1 at a private club near Ligonier.
The familiar phrase “Wine and Roses” set the tone, as dinner tables were dressed with deep red bouquets and attendees shared in “raising a toast to progress — raising funds to build a better future.”
Relating her survivor story was Heart Hero Mandi Brown of Stahlstown, who had surgery 11 years ago to repair congenital aortic valve stenosis. Prior to the procedure, Brown said she “couldn't have walked a mile.” Now she is a triathlete who also runs half-marathons, skis and snowshoes.
On the arm of husband Brent, she displayed another talent by modeling a deep blue, floor-length taffeta gown of her own creation, featuring a pleated skirt, back bow and jeweled sweetheart neckline and spaghetti straps.
Special guest was Miss Pennsylvania Annie Rosellini of Butler, accompanied by her mother, Lou Ann. The young beauty picked the American Heart Association as the platform for her reign in memory of her father, who died in 2010 at age 51 of cardiac arrest.
Festivities included dinner, live and silent auctions and a wine scavenger hunt, followed by dancing the night away to music by Jeff Jimerson and Airborne and Frank Sinatra classics by Bo Wagner.
Cheers for the ball's success go to event chairman Dr. Larry DeNino, executive leadership team members Jane Sapone and Bud Smail, and committee chairs Rich DeBone, Debra Trevellini, Paul Nickoloff and Wendy Anton.
Seen: Bonnie DeNino, Megan White, David and Linda Assard, Diane Nickoloff, Rana Ziadeh, Patty DeBone, Darlene Nagrosky, Barbara Roth, June Anton, Erica Shaffer and Joe Beaman, Muriel Robbins, Tom and Karen Kohut, Michel Franklin, Pat Condo and Jan Taylor-Condo, Mud and Phyllis Kluska, Tom and Dolores Arendas, David and Janet Theis, Matt and Kari Taylor, David Sapone, Sam Sapone and Lauren Weaver, Danni Hale Pettit and Shannon Spisak, Paul Zavarella and Jacqueline Kusenko, Jim Sandell and Barb Bambino, Kelly Mullen and another Heart Hero, Lance Frye, with mom Betsy.
— Shirley McMarlin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Mon Valley called ‘ground zero’ for blight
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- EPA finds no contamination from Parks Township nuclear dump
- 2 teens charged in shooting in New Castle
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Steel Valley area youth attend water camp