Museum, Rolling Rock Hunt Club present 'Thrill of the Hunt for Art'
For its 13th Annual Garden Party, the Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art at Ligonier Valley partnered with another of the valley's venerable institutions, the Rolling Rock Hunt Club, to present “The Thrill of the Hunt for Art.”
Held May 31 at the rustic museum just south of Ligonier, the signature fundraiser incorporated elements of the hunt with appearances by the Rolling Rock hounds and members of the Rolling Rock Pony Club with their mounts and hunt-related artworks for the silent auction.
Masters of the hunt Christina Henderson, Sophie Mellon and Fritz Teroerde served as honorary event co-chairs.
Under catering tents on the museum grounds, guests dined and danced and tried their hands at rolling dice to advance handcrafted, folk-art-style steeds along the squares of a racing game.
They also were introduced to the 2014 SAMA Auxiliary honorees, Helen Thorne and former site curator Madelon Sheedy.
Welcoming the 200 attendees in front of the museum's lush gardens were co-chairs Joseph and Gretchen Griffith and Gene and Barbara Kravits.
Pony club members Miranda Donnelly, Bryony Tilzey, Gabriella Jablonski and Brittany Finger stood nearby with well-mannered ponies Penny and Zazu.
Seen: SAMA museum system Executive Director Gary Moyer with Susie, site coordinator Sommer Toffle with Barrett Goddard, Dorothy Raizman, Daniel and Sharon McCue, Don and Kim Kramer, Kris Samloff, Dick and Ann Macdonald, Peter and Lynda Garrod, Rex and Georgia Ashbrook, Dr. John and Bridget McPhail, Gregory Caruso and Hollis Hall, Ellen Swank, Amanda Sauer, Dee Gano, Harris and Janet Ferris, Dr. Chris and Jill Bellicini, Dr. Bill Choby and Sheri Shambor, Catherine Baxter, Bill and Susan Kiren, Bill and Bonnie Hoffman, Betty Gaston, Vernie West and David and Cassandra Davies.
— Shirley McMarlin
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Hong Kong police warn protesters not to charge buildings
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Police: Westmoreland woman forged painkiller prescriptions
- Gorman: Morgan has Mustangs making Plum proud