Shaler Area Athletic Hall of Fame Class of 2017 announced
Shaler Area School District is proud to recognize the athletic accomplishments and contributions of its alumni and supporters, by recognizing six athletes and one team by inducting them into the Shaler Area School District Athletic Hall of Fame.
• Ron Budziszewski — Ron coached Titan football from 1980-2013. He started the football weight program with his own weight set in the 1980s. He was a member of the 1998 coaching staff that was Quad North section champions. Coach Bud was a positive role model for Shaler Area students for almost 40 years.
• Jason DeFranco — Jason excelled on the soccer field the three years that he attended Shaler Area. He was named All-Section twice, WPIAL Finest 15 for three times, and was All-State. Jason went on to play soccer at Robert Morris University. He made Northeast Conference section and Regional All American three times while at Robert Morris.
• Valerie McQuade — At Shaler Area Valerie played basketball and Track and Field. She was a member of the SA basketball team that was WPIAL Champions in 2011. Val was a 1,000-point scorer and among her accomplishments in track won two WPIAL individual medals in 2011. She was an assistant coach for her alma mater of Niagara University where she played for four seasons. She is currently playing for a women's basketball team in Germany.
• Phyllis Schatz — Phyllis has coached 46 cheer squads in the 32 years she has coached at Shaler Area. Her squads have competed on a local, state and national level since 1979. They have won nine state championships, as well as an international championship.
• Dan Schwartzbauer — While at Shaler Area, Dan played baseball for the 1999 WPIAL Championship team and started for four seasons. Dan was the team captain for both his high school and college teams. He signed with the Pirates after graduation. He started and played for four years at Duquesne University.
• Sam Wisotzkey — Sam played soccer at Shaler Area. He lettered for four years and was team captain for three years. He was named to the WPIAL All Star team for three years and Western PA State select team for two years. Sam started every game at Bucknell University all four years.
• 2012 Girls Track Team — The 2012 girls track program had 17 individuals and three relay teams that moved on to the WPIAL championship meets. Nine individuals earned medals, along with three relay teams. Seven individuals qualified for the PIAA state meet along with the 3,200 relay team. From the 2012 team, 13 girls moved on to compete in the NCAA.
The Hall of Fame inductees will be honored and inducted into the Shaler Area School District Athletic Hall of Fame during a banquet on Saturday, Oct. 14. To attend the event, contact Denise Dillon in the Athletic Office at 412-492-1200, ext. 1550. Cost is $25 to attend the banquet.