Fun stuff going on in Plum and Oakmont this week
Looking for fun stuff to do in Plum and Oakmont?
Here's a breakdown of a few events going on in those areas:
• Oakmont Carnegie Library hosts a free movie matinee at 2 p.m. Tuesday at 700 Allegheny River Blvd.
It will show “The Zookeeper's Wife.” The PG-13 film is based on a true story and the book of the same title by Diane Ackerman.
Antonina and Jan Zabinski are the owners and keepers of the Warsaw Zoo in 1930s Poland. When the Germans invade in 1939, many of the animals perish, but the zoo becomes a secret refuge for Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto. The Zabinskis were active in the Polish underground during the war and recognized for their selfless courage by Yad Vashem in Israel after the war. Stars Jessica Chastain and Johan Heldenbergh.
Call Robin Almendinger at 412-828-9532 for more information.
• The Oakmont library also offers Medication With a Monk from 6-7 p.m. Tuesday.
Join the monks from Natrona Heights Pittsburgh Buddhist Center for an hour of relaxing meditation.
• Book Buddies story time is 10:30-11:15 a.m. Wednesday at the library.
The program is designed for children ages birth to 5 years old with their caregiver. Children can listen to stories. No registration is required.
Contact Karen Crowell at 412-828-9532 for more information.
• The Oakmont library will be closed Thursday and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday.
• Riverview High School's Turkey Trot food drive concludes Tuesday at 100 Hulton Road in Oakmont.
People can bring nonperishable food items to the school that day. They will be donated to local food banks.
The effort is sponsored by the student council and the health and wellness committee.
Call 412-828-1800 for more information.
• The Oaks Theater will host Cinebrunch at 11 a.m. Saturday at 310 Allegheny River Blvd.
Tickets range from $14.50-$16.50. It includes brunch and a viewing of “The Wizard of Oz.”
Doors open at 10:30 a.m. There will be a $4.50 discount for children under 12.
Call 412-828-6322 for more information.
• Plum Community Center will host scrabble and mahjong games at 12:30 p.m. Friday at 499 Center New Texas Road.
Games are free. Call 412-795-2330 for more information.
• The Plum Community Library chess club will meet from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at 445 Center New Texas Road. Participants can register in the program book at the library.
• The library's Life Writers group will meet from noon-2:30 p.m. Friday. The program is free and open to anyone who wants to work on writing stories if their lives.
Call 412-798-7323 for more information on both activities.
nd resources. Meetings are the first and third Thursday of the month. Call 412-798-7323 for more information.