A new art exhibit and an Easter egg demonstration among Plum and Oakmont events this week
Wondering what's going on in Oakmont and Plum this week?
Here are some of the highlights:
• Oakmont Carnegie Library hosts an art exhibit throughout the month at 700 Allegheny River Blvd.
Pittsburgh artist James Bodnar presents “Houses,” which features paintings of homes from New England, Allegheny and Westmoreland counties. The exhibit is free. Contact Stephanie Zimble at 412-828-9532 for more information.• Medidation with a monk is set for 6-7 p.m. Tuesday at the Oakmont library. Join the monks from Natrona Height's Pittsburgh Buddhist Center for an hour of relaxing medication at the library.
• Write Now writer's group will meet from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Oakmont library. They are looking for new members and are open to all writing levels and all genres of writing.
The group meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month. Contact Coralee Gionta at 412-551-2844 for more information.
• Ukrainian Easter egg instructor Marilan Caito will be at the Oakmont library from 1-2 p.m. Saturday.
She has more than 25 years experience making Ukranian Pysanky eggs and has taught classes at various colleges and community centers.
One egg is completed from start to finish while lecturing on the tools, techniques and history of the art. The egg is then awarded to an audience member by random raffle.
Dozens of other eggs will be on display. The program is free and no registration is required.
• Plum Community Library at 449 Center New Texas Road hosts a movie matinee from 1-4 p.m. Tuesday.
It will show Agatha Christie's “Murder on the Orient Express.” Popcorn will be provided. Call 412-798-7323 or come to the library to register.
• Intermediate chess classes are set for 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesday. The class is offered to students in grades first through fifth.
Skills being taught include critical thinking, math strategies and basic chess strategies. The program is free. Registration is required.
• A rummage sale is planned for 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at the Plum library. Household items, small appliances, games and trinkets will be available for purchase.
Call 412-798-7323 for more information on Plum library activities.
• Plum Community Center at 499 Center New Texas Road will host a greeting card workshop with Diane Pavlick from 10-11:30 a.m. Friday.
The program is free and materials will be provided. Call 412-795-2330 for more information.