Fire damages Arnold house; family of 9 displaced
No one was injured in a house fire Thursday morning in Arnold, but a family of nine was displaced, an Arnold fire chief said.
Arnold No. 1 Fire Chief Walter Gouza said the fire call came in just before 10 a.m. at a home in the 1800 block of Leishman Avenue.
Gouza said it appears an unattended grease-filled pan overheated on a stove and flames jumped into an exhaust fan and the cabinet above the stove.
About 25 firefighters from Arnold No. 1 and No. 2 fire halls were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, he said.
The smoky blaze caused firefighters to ask the Red Cross to help two adults and seven children. It's unclear if the family has a place to go with relatives or if the Red Cross will find hotel rooms for them.
The youngsters range in age from 2 to 17.
“With how minor the fire was, they were able to go in and get all their belongings that they would need,” Gouza said. “The only reason why they were really displaced today was because they had to turn the electric off to the house because there was an exposed electrical line.”
The Red Cross said they went to the house and met with the family. However, there is no record of specific aid being provided, spokesman Dan Tobin said.