Heroin overdose in bathroom leaves Connellsville library on alert
A man was revived by police and paramedics after an apparent heroin overdose in a bathroom at Carnegie Free Library in Connellsville, according to library board President John Malone.
Now, library officials are asking for community support to purchase a video surveillance system while putting other measures, such as locking bathrooms, in place quickly, Malone said Tuesday.
“It's unfortunate. It upsets me,” Malone said. “It's truly a community center, and if anybody wants to do drugs — I'm telling you, don't do it there.”
A man went into a library bathroom Saturday afternoon, and employees noticed that he was locked inside for an extended period of time. Malone said they called police and paramedics, who found the man unconscious.
He was revived there with an overdose antidote and survived, Malone said.
A police report was unavailable Tuesday afternoon.
“We can't tolerate that” around children and patrons in the South Pittsburgh Street building that's a century old, Malone said.
Locks will be installed on bathroom doors, and the keys will be kept at the front desk. Library officials will have a key for emergencies.
Malone hopes to raise $15,000 to put toward a video surveillance system, which could cost between $25,000 and $30,000. Grants could pay the rest of the bill.
A donation account has been established at Somerset Trust Company.
Renatta Signorini is a Tribune-Review staff writer.