ShareThis Page

Founding members return to New Stanton recreation board

Jacob Tierney
| Friday, Feb. 9, 2018, 4:48 p.m.
Louisville Slugger bat and Rawlins ball
Getty Images
Louisville Slugger bat and Rawlins ball

New Stanton's recreation board is moving forward by going back to the beginning.

Three new board members have been appointed after the previous five quit in protest.

Their first order of business was making baseball and softball cheaper — a lot cheaper.

They're all familiar faces. William Naylor, Edward Belotti and Dean Clark were founding members of the first New Stanton recreation board in 1967 — five years before the borough was incorporated.

Naylor, who will serve as president, was on the board for 28 years before resigning. He decided to get involved again when he heard that the recreation program was in disarray.

“This is a shambles, and I'd like to do whatever I can,” he said.

He called Belotti and Clark and asked them to help out, and they agreed.

In December, the borough announced it would dismiss its five recreation board members to reorganize the program under a paid part-time coordinator.

The decision swiftly was reversed by veto from outgoing Mayor Nick DeSantis, but the board members already had quit.

Councilman Scott Sistek said the new board hopefully will bring the saga to a positive conclusion.

“We've accepted some new ideas. We started with looking for a coordinator to do this, and now we're going back to members of the old rec board from years ago,” Sistek said. “Our thought process is changing as we're going through this, and we're going to make it work, and it's all for the benefit for the kids of New Stanton.”

He hopes the old members can bring some new ideas.

“We've done the same thing for so many years, we need to try to change our focus a little bit.”

Former rec board president Alan Wagner said he's unhappy with the way council handled things.

“They never gave us a good reason why they went this way. They just said they have different ideas and wanted to go in a different direction, I guess,” he said.

However, he said he supports the new members.

“Bill Naylor's a great guy, I remember him from back when I played, so I wish him the best,” he said.

The board needs two more members. Naylor said he expects them to be appointed soon.

Naylor said he doesn't like how expensive it's become for kids to play baseball and softball.

Last year, prices in New Stanton ranged from $30 to $125 depending on the age of the player. Parents also had to agree to sell $100 worth of raffle tickets as a fundraiser for the program — or pay $60 to opt out of the raffle sales.

The raffle tickets will stay, but the participation fees will be greatly reduced. The new cost is $15 for age 8 and under, who will get a T-shirt and hat to keep. Age 9 and older will play for free, though they do need to pony up a $25 deposit that will be refunded when they return their uniform at the end of the season.

That's how they did it decades ago, and it's time for low-cost baseball to make a comeback, Naylor said.

“We did it before, and we said we can do it again,” he said.

Jacob Tierney is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach him at 724-836-6646, or via Twitter @Soolseem.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me