Tow truck driver charged in fatal Penn Hills crash
Published: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 6:44 p.m.
Updated: Sunday, May 13, 2012
Allegheny County police charged a tow truck driver Saturday with causing a fatal crash in Penn Hills.
Duane Woodson, 50, of Point Breeze, was charged with homicide by vehicle, accidents involving death or personal injury while not properly licensed and driving on the wrong side of the road.
Police said he crossed the center line about 1 p.m. at 1088 Milltown Road and slammed head on into the car driven by Christine Beilstein, 45, of Plum.
Beilstein was killed and her 9-year-old son was flown by helicopter to a local hospital and was listed critical condition with severe head trauma, police said.
Police said Woodson attempted to flee the accident scene on foot but was apprehended. He is also at a local hospital with minor injuries, police said.
It appeared to be a head-on collision, said Sandy Bollinger, who works at the nearby Penn Hills Community Market and could see the scene in front of an apartment building.
Milltown Road is a mix of homes and businesses, she said. Bollinger said there have been previous crashes on the same road.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Springdale wants retiring police chief’s help with transition
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Former Springdale police officer charged with drug possession, stealing badge
- Soldier killed on London street; terrorist suspect filmed with cleaver, knife
- North Huntingdon officials hope to spur more development
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.