Water tower in Blawnox coming down
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 9:29 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 4, 2012
A neighborhood eyesore could be demolished before the end of the year.
Blawnox officials approved a $16,800 contract with Kosinski Demolition of Port Austin, Mich. to bring down a water tank on Carla Drive.
The vote was 5-0, with council members Deborah Laskey and Scott Krause absent.
The project will be welcome news for residents in the neighborhood, borough manager Sherry Kordas said.
“People on Carla Drive will be elated to have that water tank come down,” Kordas said.
Jared Evanchec, president of the Fox View Homeowners Association agreed.
“It's been something the group and I have been really adamant about doing and we're really excited,” Evanchec said.
Evanchec said he has lived in the development for about two and a half years.
“I looked past the water tower but now that it's coming down, it really excites me,” Evanchec said.
Kordas said the project could be completed before the end of the year.
Funding will come from the Community Development Block Grant program.
Gordon Taylor of Senate Engineering, the borough engineer, said he had not dealt with this company before, but the company was required to supply three references.
“We did check the references,” Taylor said. “We contacted those people and they said they did a good job.”
The company will be required to put up a maintenance and performance bond and be insured, Taylor said.
The bids ranged from the low $16,800 bid to $27,180. Three offers were received.
Evanchec had only one request about after the demolition is complete.
“I just hope they don't replace it with something equally as ugly,” Evanchec said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: Why did Pens even get Iginla?
- Cooke has been steadying force for Penguins in playoffs
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Red Wings take 2-1 series lead over Blackhawks
- Penguins notebook: Jokinen’s faceoff skills may be needed
- Breakdown at end of Game 3 changes Senators series
- Blowing late lead not a good sign for Penguins
- Steelers reach agreement with sixth-round pick Williams
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Senators notebook: MacLean impressed by Ottawa fans
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.