Gifts, grants benefit Sharpsburg police
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 9:02 p.m.
Updated: Friday, October 12, 2012
The Sharpsburg Police Department has gotten some help from the community.
Chief Leo Rudzki announced three donations and grants received by the department last week.
Sharpsburg Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 709 donated $300, which will be used for two miniature high-definition video cameras for the police vehicles.
The department also received pet oxygen masks from Donna Bishop and Julie Mastro in memory of their grandparents, Armel and Dorothy Lavia. Both were lifelong residents of Sharpsburg.
Rudzki said while those masks haven't been needed recently in the borough, they could be helpful in the future. “I've seen instances on the news where fire departments have used them and they were able to resuscitate family pets,” Rudzki said.
The department also received $4,000 from the office of Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala.
That money will go toward radio and computer upgrades.
Rudzki hopes to have the new equipment in soon. He's already received the oxygen masks and cameras. The radio and computer equipment will be ordered next month.
“It's definitely needed in these tough budget times,” Rudzki said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was improvement during playoffs
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Marijuana supporters rally at the Point
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Restaurant battles online reviews
- Veteran CEOs find success in comeback role
- Knoch volleyball star Sanks glad to end recruitment trail
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.