Gifts, grants benefit Sharpsburg police
By Tom McGee
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 9:02 p.m.
Updated: Friday, October 12, 2012
The Sharpsburg Police Department has gotten some help from the community.
Chief Leo Rudzki announced three donations and grants received by the department last week.
Sharpsburg Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 709 donated $300, which will be used for two miniature high-definition video cameras for the police vehicles.
The department also received pet oxygen masks from Donna Bishop and Julie Mastro in memory of their grandparents, Armel and Dorothy Lavia. Both were lifelong residents of Sharpsburg.
Rudzki said while those masks haven't been needed recently in the borough, they could be helpful in the future. “I've seen instances on the news where fire departments have used them and they were able to resuscitate family pets,” Rudzki said.
The department also received $4,000 from the office of Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen Zappala.
That money will go toward radio and computer upgrades.
Rudzki hopes to have the new equipment in soon. He's already received the oxygen masks and cameras. The radio and computer equipment will be ordered next month.
“It's definitely needed in these tough budget times,” Rudzki said.
Tom McGee is an associate editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400, ext. 1513 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says offense needs to get rolling
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Bowser topples Hot Shots Saloon
- Pitt adds two more recruits
- Three killed when minivan crashes into tree in Butler County
- Worthington-Kittanning wastes early lead, falls to Prospect
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Three-time Emmy winner, ‘Sopranos’ star James Gandolfini dead at 51
- Requirements change for Pittsburgh police officers who evaluate potential recruits
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.