Wilkinsburg man killed in Monroeville crash
Published: Friday, October 5, 2012, 8:56 a.m.
Updated: Friday, October 5, 2012
It's unclear why a Wilkinsburg man drove across the center line and crashed into an oncoming vehicle, killing himself and injuring five others, Allegheny County Police said Friday.
Francis Spearman, 74, lost control of his vehicle and crashed head-on into another just before 8 p.m. Thursday at Saunders Station and Abers Creek roads in Monroeville, according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office. He died at UPMC Mercy, Uptown.
Two passengers in his vehicle were hurt, as was the driver and two of his passengers in the other vehicle, Lt. Andrew Schurman said. None of the injuries were serious, he said.
Police are investigating why Spearman crossed the center line as he headed eastbound on Saunders, Schurman said.
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Chesapeake Energy names Anadarko executive as new CEO
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- Police: Drunk man escapes car hit by train in East Deer
- I-70 to reopen after crash in Westmoreland
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- 57 W.Pa. hopefuls missed filing deadline, data show
- Lawrenceville native strives to fly from world’s wonders
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.