Vandergrift Bypass rehab scheduled
By George Guido
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:56 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2012
Motorists can brace for a major highway renovation project in Allegheny Township.
PennDOT notified township officials that they will seek construction bids next month for an overhaul of the Route 56-Vandergrift Bypass.
The 2.68-mile artery, which opened in September 1970, will take between six and eight months to rehab, according to a letter PennDOT sent to the township supervisors. The project is expected to be completed next summer.
The project will cover the four-lane, limited-access highway from its intersection with South Leechburg Hill Road to Longfellow Street in Vandergrift.
Construction crews will replace the current road surface and install new stormwater drains.
No price tag for the project was included in the notification letter.
The highway was originally intended to connect Vandergrift with the Route 28 expressway, but the lack of funds and trouble getting rights of way prevented extending the highway.
Several attempts to reach a PennDOT spokesman following the township supervisors' meeting for further details were unsuccessful.
George Guido is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media. Comments regarding this story can be sent to (724) 226-4666 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Greensburg Salem names new football coach
- Mayor’s defeat may spell end of ‘Monessen Rising’
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.