Donora in search of gaming money
Donora council will pitch four projects in the borough's 2013 Washington County Local Share Account application.
The Local Share Account receives money from tax revenue related to gaming at the Meadows Racetrack & Casino in North Strabane Township.
The money is to be used to support and enhance community and economic well-being in counties in which casinos are located. The deadline to submit applications is Wednesday, and the Local Share Account committee determines which projects will receive money.
The four proposed Donora projects are:
• Construction of the proposed John P. Murtha Memorial Pavilion, located in the southwestern corner of Palmer Park, at the site of the original Palmer Park Dance Hall.
• Extension of Authority of the Borough of Charleroi Water Co. distribution lines and installation of fire hydrants in residential areas without service.
• Replacement of the roof at 501-503 Thompson Ave. for Phase I of the of the International Clean Air Started Here in Donora Institute and Museum.
• Repairs to the public parking garage at the intersection of McKean Avenue and Sixth Street.
“I'm going down to submit an application myself to repair the parking structure,” Mayor John Lignelli said. “That flooring is in bad shape, and we gain revenue from it. I'm real sick about something happening there.
“If that thing caves in, we lose the clock and the gazebo. Those are important features of our town, and that garage brings revenue to the borough. It's something that we need.
“I told council to give me a dollar figure. The engineer estimates we'll need about $250,000 ... If I get any part of that so we can fix it so it will hold up for a while, instead of it caving in and us losing it, I'll be satisfied.”
In other business, council announced that the Halloween parade will be 6 p.m. Oct. 25. Lineup will begin 5 p.m. at the intersection of Third Street and McKean Avenue.
Trick-or-treat will be 3 to 5 p.m. Oct. 27. Participants are asked to have their porch lights turned on during that time.
The Donora Smog Commemorative Committee will sponsor the annual Smog Races on Oct. 27. Final registration will begin at 8 a.m. at Valley Skating Center. The 10K skate will begin 9 a.m., and the 5K walk or run will begin 10 a.m. For information, call 724-823-0364.
Council purchased a 2003 Ford F-550XL Super Duty dump truck that will be used to plow snow. The cost was $21,500.
In a related matter, council hired Brian Lewis of 123 Kenric Ave. as a full-time street department employee.
“This is something that we desperately needed – desperately, desperately needed” Council President Dr. Karen Polkabla said. “I'm glad we were finally able to fill this position.”
Jeremy Sellew is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-684-2667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police: Phone calls about unpaid taxes are scams
- Former South Allegheny school director named to Glassport council
- Tobacco growers forced to find profits as buyout checks end in October
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Congress: Safety agency mishandled GM recall
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- A Griffins great: Seton Hill soccer team supports 7-year-old honorary member
- Colleges in Western Pa. to emphasize curricula for energy, industrial fields
- Comcast cuts showings of anti-pigeon shooting commercial featuring Barker