Date for Trafford's Memorial Park unveiling pushed to 2013
By Chris Foreman
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
A dedication for the renovated Trafford Memorial Park could happen during the borough's 2013 Memorial Day program, Trafford Mayor Rey Peduzzi said.
The volunteer committee that planned the project had hoped to complete the renovations by Veterans Day, but more work remains to finish the first of three possible phases at the Edgewood Avenue park, Peduzzi said.
The committee oversaw the restoration of several formerly weathered war memorials and the summer installation of a new monument related to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The first phase has a $50,000 budget.
“We've been trying to do this without any government money, and so far, we've been successful,” Peduzzi said.
Group members want to plant new grass and 11 pear trees this month. When completed, cobblestone paving will provide a buffer between the greenery and the bases of the monuments, Peduzzi said.
“We're just going to wait until spring to do our final touch-ups,” he said.
Later phases might include an expansion of the flag plaza and improvements to the park gazebo.
Chris Foreman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400 ext. 8671 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Road Trip! Destination: Museum gems of NYC
- Remember When: Sermon presented to graduates
- Restaurant battles online reviews
- Family event at Fun Fore All to benefit pediatric cancer research
- Lula in Sewickley offers intimate surroundings, simple food
- Hunt Institute’s collection of botanicals continues to bloom
- Director of the Fort Pitt Museum in Point State Park seemed destined for job
- CAPA takes 7 honors in annual Kelly Awards
- Not all ‘productivity’ is created equal: Another case against government-dictated minimum wages
- Families can fish for fun at Northmoreland Park lake
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.