Date for Trafford's Memorial Park unveiling pushed to 2013
By Chris Foreman
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
A dedication for the renovated Trafford Memorial Park could happen during the borough's 2013 Memorial Day program, Trafford Mayor Rey Peduzzi said.
The volunteer committee that planned the project had hoped to complete the renovations by Veterans Day, but more work remains to finish the first of three possible phases at the Edgewood Avenue park, Peduzzi said.
The committee oversaw the restoration of several formerly weathered war memorials and the summer installation of a new monument related to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The first phase has a $50,000 budget.
“We've been trying to do this without any government money, and so far, we've been successful,” Peduzzi said.
Group members want to plant new grass and 11 pear trees this month. When completed, cobblestone paving will provide a buffer between the greenery and the bases of the monuments, Peduzzi said.
“We're just going to wait until spring to do our final touch-ups,” he said.
Later phases might include an expansion of the flag plaza and improvements to the park gazebo.
Chris Foreman is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-856-7400 ext. 8671 or email@example.com.
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Pirates’ road trip could define journey
- 3 arrested in break-in at Allegheny Ludlum plant
- Smoking in school costs New Florence man more than a fine
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.