Riverview eyes policy on volunteers
By George Guido
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 1:06 a.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 14, 2012
The Riverview School District will consider adoption of a policy for volunteers.
The school board on Monday night began reviewing volunteer policies from several other school districts.
“We want to encourage continued parental involvement to serve the needs of students,” said Superintendent Margaret DiNinno. “But we need very specific guidelines, and we need to see what Riverview needs.”
The districts whose policies are under review all broke down volunteers by different categories.
Some had frequent volunteers, such as an assistant athletic trainer, who would interact with students frequently.
Another definition describes casual volunteers, who don't have unsupervised contact with students, such as guest speakers and concert ushers.
Other volunteers include those who coach an athletic team, serve as band chaperones on buses to events and musical choreographers who provide instruction with students.
Some would need background clearances for convictions such as child abuse, criminal behavior, or, some would have to have fingerprints on file.
The board will begin to discuss volunteer issues on Monday.
DiNinno said any policy formulated by the school board would be reviewed by the solicitor.
No date of final adoption has been set.
Class make-up day set
• District officials said the school day missed in late October because of Hurricane Sandy will be made up on Monday, Feb. 18.
George Guido is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
- Kovacevic: It doesn’t have to be this hard
- Polling stations may be changed for some voters
- Steelers rookie moves on after PSU scandal
- Penguins blow late lead, fall to Senators in 2OT
- MPIAA holds annual 100-inning softball game
- Goalie Anderson stands tall in Senators’ victory over Penguins
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Women take action to improve Kinloch park
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Mt. Washington's Grandview Avenue isn't looking so great these days
- Alvarez blast propels Pirates past Astros
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.