TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent

Daily Photo Galleries

Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.
 

Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.

Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.

Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.

“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.

“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”

Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.

She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Allegheny County will stop asking about employees’ criminal history, Fitzgerald says
  2. Connellsville wrestlers hope to meet program’s standard of excellence
  3. FDA rule to require chain restaurants to post calorie counts
  4. Lower gasoline prices fail to spur consumer spending
  5. Roundup: Mazda recalls cars to fix tire pressure monitors; Wal-Mart’s top merchant out as key holiday nears; more
  6. DUI checkpoints take on dangerous drivers
  7. No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
  8. Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
  9. Steel Valley plans to play up-tempo under 1st-year coach Schifino
  10. Young Steel Valley players looking for experience
  11. Mon Valley preparing for Small Business Saturday
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.