Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 15, 2012
Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.
Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.
Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.
“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.
“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”
Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.
She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.
- Kovacevic: It’s about time for these Penguins
- Steelers veteran outside linebacker Woodley: ‘I’m good to go’
- Steelers notebook: Slimmed-down Redman optimistic for 2013
- Senators on cusp of ouster against Penguins
- Neal, Iginla get back on track to lead Penguins
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Penguins turn Game 4 into a blowout victory over the Senators
- Steelers’ Miller watches, waits while teammates practice
- Penguins notebook: Morrow sits; Bylsma changes lineup
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Former Washington County judge charged with theft, drug possession
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.