TribLIVE

| Neighborhoods


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Monessen firefighters free woman, 38, who was trapped in heat vent

About The Tribune-Review
The Tribune-Review can be reached via e-mail or at 412-321-6460.
Contact Us | Video | Photo Reprints

Daily Photo Galleries


By The Tribune-Review

Published: Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012, 2:26 a.m.

Firefighters freed a Monessen woman around 1:15 a.m. Thursday after her leg became trapped in a heating vent in the third floor of her residence.

Lori Sergi, 38, of 221 Luce Ave. had been “trapdoored” between the opening and the vent's metal grate, according to Municipal Fire Chief Delmar Hepple.

Firefighters had to cut around the metal grating to free the woman's right leg, which had dropped almost entirely into the duct.

“She was in there pretty deep, her pelvis was almost touching the floor,” Hepple said.

“We had to be careful making the cuts. Everything had to be done precisely because it was so close to her leg.”

Hepple said Sergi had previously removed the vent screen and failed to secure it.

She did not require medical attention. Monessen Hilltop Firefighters and city police responded.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Neighborhoods

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.