Pittsburgh male spotlight athlete: Brendan McKay
By Brian Graham
Published: Friday, April 13, 2012, 11:29 a.m.
Claim to fame: McKay went 3 for 3 with a double, a two-run home run and four RBIs for Blackhawk in its 8-6 come-from-behind victory over Mars on Monday. Through the Cougars' first seven games, McKay batted .560 with six doubles, a home run and 12 RBIs. On the mound, he went 2-0 with 14 strikeouts and no earned runs. McKay was a perfect 6-0 with an 0.80 ERA and led the team with a .480 batting average and 20 RBI as a freshman last season.
How big was the win on Monday for your team's psyche• "It was big. We've been dominating teams so far. So, we were down and had to really battle back. It was good to come back as a team and play hard," McKay said.
What's the best piece of baseball advice you've received• "I think it actually came from my coach. He said, 'stay humble and keep my head on.' "
Which do you prefer, pitching or playing out in the field• "I like to pitch. That's my favorite. I feel like I'm in control of the game when I pitch."
What's your best pitch• "My curveball."
How long have you been playing baseball• "I started playing when I was 5. I started to play travel ball when I was 10, until I was 14. Then I started last year playing for the varsity team."
Two years from now when you're a senior, how would you like to change as a baseball player• "I hope that I'm smart about how I pitch. I want to think more about what I need to do and train more."
- Schools crucial in keeping patriotism, flag etiquette alive among nation’s youth
- Allegheny County school districts brace for appeals results
- Franklin Park commission rejects clean-fill site
- Life returns to normal for Ellwood City boy who beat vicious illness
- Retiring superintendent ‘went the extra mile’ for Moon Area
- Pine-Richland 8th-grader’s history paper earns top spot
- Baldwin man shifts GTO collection into high gear
- Young Achiever: Nicole DeCarlo
- School notices: North Allegheny senior travelin ot England for Linguistics Olympiad
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.