Young Achiever: Rachel Stein
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2013, 5:42 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Residence: Fox Chapel
School: Sophomore at Fox Chapel Area High School
Family: Parents Allison and Brad: brothers Devon, 13; Dylan 9; Aidan, 6.
Hobbies: Dance and musicals. She is a member of the B'Nai B'rith Youth Organization.
Notable: Rachel won first place in a poetry slam contest organized by the Pittsburgh Poetry Collective earlier this month. The contest was open to anyone from the region ages 13 to 20 and held at Union Project in Highland Park. Her poems included one she wrote as a letter of advice from a 15-year-old to herself as a middle school student. She also wrote a poem about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting tragedy. A third poem was a satire of questions she has been asked about her Jewish ancestry. There were five people in the contest. Rachel started writing poetry in the fall.
Quote: “I was so excited. It was my first slam poetry competition. It was an honor to win among such a great group of poets.”
— Rick Wills
- Pens’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Contractor charged with failing to use grant for Jeannette building
- Bethel Park offensive lineman picks Pitt
- City police investigating whether officer who gave ride to mayor’s ex-bodyguard broke any department regulations
- Landmark Fallowfield DQ has new owners
- Pittsburgh council rejects expansion of Mexican War Streets historic district
- New Castle doctor among newest astronauts
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.