Young achiever: Michelle Braga
Published: Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 5:18 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Residence: Bethel Park
Family: Mother, Erika Braga, and sister, Nicolle, 14
School: Bethel Park High School
Noteworthy: In January, Braga won the residential wiring event at Pennsylvania's District 8 regional SkillsUSA competition at Rosedale Technical Institute in Kennedy, where 42 high school students competed. Braga will particpiate in the state contest in Hershey in April. Winners of that will compete in Kansas City, Mo., for scholarships awarded by SkillsUSA, a Leesburg, Va.-based nonprofit, career and technical education student organization.
Activities/interests: Braga spends part of her school day at Steel Center Area Vocational School in Jefferson Hills, where she is enrolled in an electrical conception, or wiring, class. She plans to attend the University of Pittsburgh and enroll in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 5 apprenticeship program to become an electrician. Braga hopes to inspire other women to enter the male-dominated field.
Quote: “There's definitely going to be challenges … but I love the work enough to put up with it,” Braga said of being a woman in occupation that is mostly male.
— Tory N. Parrish
- Main Street improvement projects popping up all over Allegheny
- Bethel Park to vote on bus report
- Parking issue tables vote on sports facility in Pine
- Plant swap to raise funds for Ambridge historic district
- Castle Shannon specialty store McGinnis Market closing its doors
- Work on Tuskegee Airmen tribute in Sewickley finally to begin in June
- Community briefs: Mt. Lebanon, Fox Chapel road notices
- Coraopolis facades get lift with county grant program
- Appeals cloud Mt. Lebanon taxes
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.