Young Achiever: Elizabeth Mamros
Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 9:00 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Family: Parents Rita and Mark; brother, Matt
Activities: Elizabeth plays violin and flute in the Peters Township High School orchestra and marching bands.
Notable: Elizabeth was one of 15 students around the country to win Mylan Specialty L.P.'s “Get Schooled in Anaphylaxis Challenge,” aimed at helping kids understand the potentially life-threatening allergic reaction. Her proposal for an Anaphylaxis Awareness Week would have different activities and dress codes for each day, like a “busy bee” day where students dress in black and yellow and talk about bee-sting allergies. She will receive a $2,000 college scholarship.
Quote: “I used to help out at an asthma camp over the summer, and those kids felt like their condition made them different. Kids with severe allergies can feel the same way.”
— Bill Vidonic
- Pens to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- New Ken police investigate infant’s death
- ’76 Apple model gets $668K at auction
- Remember When: Sermon presented to graduates
- Road Trip! Destination: Museum gems of NYC
- Families can fish for fun at Northmoreland Park lake
- CAPA takes 7 honors in annual Kelly Awards
- How to clean, season and maintain your grill
- Chefs fresh takes on taco night
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- ‘Alteration’ powered by alt-history, satire
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.