Law mandates home carbon monoxide detectors
The carbon monoxide poisoning of a Glassport mother and her four children last week provided a grim reminder of the threat posed by the odorless gas.
A state law aims to reduce such incidents by expanding the requirement for carbon monoxide detectors in homes. By June 2015, detectors will be required in all multi-family dwellings and rental properties with a fossil fuel-burning heater or appliance, fireplace or attached garage. Sellers will be required to say in property disclosures whether their buildings have detectors.
“Certainly we want to make sure that our residents are safe, but it's a significant mandate,” said James Eichenlaub, executive director of the Apartment Association of Metropolitan Pittsburgh.
The law requires property owners to pick up the tab for installing at least one detector near bedrooms in each housing unit. That could cost millions of dollars.
Census figures show the Pittsburgh metropolitan area is home to more than 300,000 rental units. Detectors cost $20 and up. It's unknown how many units have detectors.
Eichenlaub said apartment owners and landlords will have to revise lease agreements to advise tenants of their responsibilities.
The law, signed by Gov. Tom Corbett in December, requires tenants to maintain the detectors.
“It's not something that can just be done overnight,” Eichenlaub said.
Sen. Pat Browne, R-Lehigh County, knows that. He's been proposing related legislation for years.
“Pennsylvania leads the nation in fatalities as a result of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning,” Browne said, citing data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “The best way to address this danger is prevention through the installation of carbon monoxide detectors.”
Carbon monoxide poisoning results in an average of 450 deaths and more than 20,000 emergency room visits annually, according to the CDC.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office reported 15 accidental carbon monoxide poisoning deaths over the past six years. That included three last year, the highest total in three years.
The law might not have helped the Glassport family, which survived the poisoning on the evening of March 19.
The landlord, listed as Yehudai Amit, faces citations for various code violations, including failing to have the single-family, rental home inspected before the family moved in, said Glassport building inspector Steve Volpe. It remains unknown whether the home had carbon monoxide detectors, he said.
Volpe said he inspected the home the following morning and it had three detectors, along with what appeared to be ductwork, vents and a new hot water heater.
“The night before, the fire chief said a vent was so rusty that you could poke your finger through it. The next morning, they had a brand new one,” Volpe said. Amit could not be reached.
The family was treated at UPMC Presbyterian when the mother, a nurse, took the family to the hospital when one daughter appeared disoriented and had trouble with her balance and another daughter complained of a headache, Volpe said.
“Everyone should have at least one detector, regardless of the law,” said Mt. Lebanon fire Chief Nicholas Sohyda, who has two in his home — one in the area of its bedrooms and the other near the furnace and hot water heater in the basement.
David Namey, manager of the county Health Department's housing and community environment program, has three detectors in his home.
“One incident like the one in Glassport is too many. You can get a good detector for $20. It's well worth it,” Namey said.
Tom Fontaine is a Trib Total Media staff writer. Reach him at 412-320-7847 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Summer camps in Pittsburgh area move beyond arts, crafts
- Old Economy in Ambridge reschedules its American Celebration event for Aug. 8
- Upper St. Clair School Board passes $72.52 million budget, raises taxes
- Mt. Lebanon to consider new options for controlling deer population
- Mt. Lebanon to consider easing restrictions on borrowing
- Freshmen can march with Bethel Park band in 2016-17
- Jerome Bridge traffic signals removed in McKeesport
- Young achiever: Liam Ellis
- Renewed paper recycling efforts abound in Western Pa.
- DIY Network show to help rebuild historic Oakdale cabin
- Dormont house ready to go on market after makeover