Gilpin man killed changing tire on Route 28
By Chuck Biedka
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 10:24 a.m.
Updated: Friday, October 19, 2012
A Gilpin man died just before 4 a.m. Wednesday while trying to change a flat tire at the Tarentum exit of northbound Route 28.
State police and a deputy Allegheny County medical examiner said Kevin Eshelman, 24, of Lessing Road, died at the scene.
Police said Eshelman's friend, Chad Akins, 26, of Apollo, also was struck by the vehicle. He was in fair condition late Wednesday morning in Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh.
County 911 said the accident was reported at 3:49 a.m.
Trooper Ronald D. Kesten said Eshelman called Akins to help with the flat, and Akins parked his Jeep in front of Eshelman's car, along the berm, someone time before the accident.
Police said Eshelman and Akins were struck by an Audi driven by Thomas James Walters, 23, of Brackenridge.
The Audi hit the Jeep before coming to a stop on the northbound Tarentum exit (Exit 14).
Kesten said Walters was interviewed by police and left with a relative.
Kesten said an accident reconstruction will reveal how far into the lane the men were when hit, how fast Walters was driving, any roadway or other factors.
It's unclear when the review will be completed.
The accident closed Route 28 northbound between the Creighton (Exit 13) and Tarentum exits through the morning rush hour. The diverted traffic clogged the parallel Freeport Road until nearly 10 a.m.
Some lesser accidents were reported in Tarentum during rush hour.
About eight state troopers were assisted by police from Tarentum, Frazer, Harrison, Fawn, Brackenridge as well as firefighters from Tarentum and East Deer and Eureka emergency medical services.
Chuck Biedka is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4711 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Man attacked by dog in Carrick cemetery
- Washington scandals intrude on Massachusetts Senate race
- Penguins notebook: Vitale a no-go
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Tunisian security blocks radical Islamists’ conference
- Indiana County toddler dies of abuse injuries
- Dawson council, VFD members to meet
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Alvarez blast lifts Pirates past Astros
- NHL releases Pens-Senators playoff schedule
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.