Burrell wins showdown with Springdale
By Staff Reports
Published: Saturday, October 6, 2012, 11:26 p.m.
Updated: Friday, December 21, 2012
A matchup of two of the A-K Valley's top boys soccer teams didn't disappoint Saturday as Burrell edged Springdale, 2-1, in a nonsection game that had a playoff feel.
Tom Spagnolo scored on a corner kick by Corey Mazary midway through the second half, and Class AA No. 5 Burrell (12-0-1) edged Class A No. 4 Springdale (11-2).
Springdale took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Will Noble early in the second half. But Burrell's Andrew Stewart scored the equalizer.
“Springdale is a great team,” Burrell coach T.J. Trozzi said. “They will do well in the playoffs. This was a good game to get us ready for the postseason.”
Kiski Area 2, Penn-Trafford 0 — Brandon Smail's four-save shutout helped the Cavaliers (9-2-2, 7-1-1) keep pace with Section 1-AAA leader Franklin Regional (10-1-2, 8-1-1).
Matt Dziadosz registered a goal and an assist for Kiski Area. He is tied with Dakota Lange — who assisted on Dziadosz's goal — for the team lead in both scoring categories with six goals and five assists.
Plum 7, McKeesport 0 — Shane Rings scored three goals and was one of five players to find the net for Plum (6-4-2) in a nonsection victory over the Tigers (1-12).
Plum 3, Woodland Hills 0 — Aaliyah Odom scored twice and assisted on a goal by Nicolette Casarcia as Plum (7-5-2, 5-3-2) won a Section 3-AAA game over Woodland Hills (2-11, 0-11).
Girls cross country
Riverview takes fourth — Riverview was the top Class A finisher at the 14-team Grove City Invitational. Freshman Molly Kennedy took fourth overall (20:39).
Riverview's top seven girls all are underclassmen.
Plum finished third.There are currently no comments for this story.
- Penguins’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Judge deals setback to Steelers’ quest to expand Heinz Field
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Esmark celebrates new headquarters in Edgeworth
- Pitt adds defensive recruit from Philadelphia
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- News Alert
- City police investigating whether officer who gave ride to mayor’s ex-bodyguard broke any department regulations
- Bethel Park offensive lineman picks Pitt
- Man claims to be target of probe into Steubenville hack