Vandergrift Bypass rehab scheduled
By George Guido
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012, 12:56 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2012
Motorists can brace for a major highway renovation project in Allegheny Township.
PennDOT notified township officials that they will seek construction bids next month for an overhaul of the Route 56-Vandergrift Bypass.
The 2.68-mile artery, which opened in September 1970, will take between six and eight months to rehab, according to a letter PennDOT sent to the township supervisors. The project is expected to be completed next summer.
The project will cover the four-lane, limited-access highway from its intersection with South Leechburg Hill Road to Longfellow Street in Vandergrift.
Construction crews will replace the current road surface and install new stormwater drains.
No price tag for the project was included in the notification letter.
The highway was originally intended to connect Vandergrift with the Route 28 expressway, but the lack of funds and trouble getting rights of way prevented extending the highway.
Several attempts to reach a PennDOT spokesman following the township supervisors' meeting for further details were unsuccessful.
George Guido is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media. Comments regarding this story can be sent to (724) 226-4666 or email@example.com.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Morton, quick start propel Pirates past Reds
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Police find burglary suspect’s cellphone at crime scene
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Bullskin crash
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Former president of Derry Area Football Boosters Club charged with stealing $27,000 from group
- Pagan’s lawyer seeks info
- Reserve woman found shot to death in home
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.