Police examine video of McNerney beating
By Margaret Harding
Published: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Saturday, October 13, 2012
Surveillance video of the beating death of a Washington & Jefferson College football player shows several people in the area when the crime occurred, Washington police Chief Robert Lemons said Tuesday.
“We can't judge anything off it,” he said. Lemons declined to elaborate.
Running back Timothy McNerney, 21, a Knoch High School graduate and resident of Penn Township, Butler County, was beaten to death in an apparent robbery while walking home from a bar about 2:30 a.m. Thursday with fellow football player Zach DeCicco, 22, of Jefferson Hills. McNerney was found about 90 minutes after being attacked. He was pronounced dead at The Washington Hospital.
DeCicco, who suffered a broken nose and bruises, told police that he fought with three men who tried to steal his cell phone, police said.
The senior defensive back said he managed to break free and run back to his dormitory, where he told friends what happened. He then called campus police, who called city police at 2:54 a.m.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
- Grand jury continues investigation in meeting with former Ravenstahl bodyguard
- Steelers rookie safety Thomas learning from Polamalu, Clark
- Facial recognition technology moving toward identifying almost anyone
- Pirates notebook: Mercer now the top option at shortstop
- PennDOT withholds funding plan from public
- Pittsburgh Three Rivers Regatta to offer two fireworks shows this year
- Allegheny County’s 16 criminal court judges sign order regarding procedures to maintain evidence in criminal proceedings
- Cecil residents take bus to Capitol to protest Rep. White’s online attacks using false names
- Robinson: 10 Steelers storylines to keep tabs on
- Egyptologist risks life, career to expose looting
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.