Mayor: Avonmore seeing an ‘explosion’ of energy
By Tom Yerace
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2012, 12:41 a.m.
Updated: Friday, March 29, 2013
Avonmore Mayor Aileen Reid thinks that her town is on the cusp of a revival.
A town meeting scheduled for Thursday night is meant to keep feeding what Reid has called an “explosion of energy and enthusiasm” regarding the town's future.
She said it started when borough officials reestablished a planning commission, which is now engaged in preparing short- and long-term plans for the borough.
But it has gone beyond that, as Reid and other officials reach out to the community to participate.
“The more we get together and talk about these things, it is snowballing,” she said. “And we are getting very excited about that.”
That has been done in typical small town fashion via word-of-mouth among residents, but also through a community newsletter and the borough's Facebook page, which now has 700 “friends.”
Some results were seen when a group of about 35 residents got together recently to clean up a pavilion in the park. They turned it into a social event complete with a bonfire and food.Thursday's meeting is to generate ideas from groups organizations in town, all of whom will be given a chance to speak, and spur residents to volunteer.
It will focus on preserving the town's senior citizens center as well as attracting new members and donations to the borough's fire department.
There is also an appeal to get the town's young people involved and they will have a chance to speak at the meeting, too. Some are involved in helping to plan a dodgeball tournament at the community center.Reid said this effort is like nothing she has seen in the 18 years she has lived in Avonmore.
“It's contagious, we are getting a great response,” she said.
Tom Yerace is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4675 or email@example.com.
- Locke, Pirates power past Brewers, 5-2
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- WPIAL athletes fare well in final day of state track
- MLB notebook: Yankees’ Granderson goes on DL again
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of soldier
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- ’76 Apple model gets $668K at auction
- Pipeline project creates unease in Westmoreland County
- Vehicle slams into bakery, no injuries
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.