Religion digest: Hanukkah celebration, Advent supper
Rock of Ages Congregation plans Hanukkah celebration
Rock of Ages Messianic Jewish Congregation, Cheswick, will have a Hanukkah Celebration at 7 p.m. Friday at the church, 124 Pearl Ave.
The public is welcome to come and enjoy an open latke buffet, music, dancing and the retelling of the Hanukkah story.
Christmas pilgrimage scheduled in Leechburg
The Leechburg Ministerial Association will sponsor a community Christmas pilgrimage, “A Sacred Passage,” today at several churches.
Participants can attend sessions from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. or 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. and should meet at Hebron Lutheran Church, 201 Main St., Leechburg, where the sights of Bethlehem will be presented. The group will travel to Cross Roads Community Presbyterian Church, 271 Main St., where there will be a live stable scene in the church parking lot, and continue to First Evangelical Lutheran Church, 358 Main St., where refreshments will be served.
Donations will be accepted. Details: 724-845-1901
Ford City Ministerium plans Advent supper
The Ford City Ministerium will sponsor a Community Advent Supper and service at 6 p.m. Monday at Ford Memorial United Methodist Church, 1024 Fourth Ave., Ford City.
Those attending are asked to bring a covered dish to share. A brief devotional message will be afterward.
Details: 724-763-1540 or 724-763-1010
Video tells of finding peace when life is difficult
St. Andrew Anglican Church, New Kensington, offers Lifetree Café at 7 p.m. Tuesdays at the church, 1090 Edgewood Road.
This week's free video program will discuss finding peace when life is difficult.
Lifetree Café is a place where people can gather for conversation about life and faith in a casual, coffeehouse setting. Snacks and beverages will be available.
Details: the Rev. John Bailey at 724-339-7518.
• A praise-and-worship service will be- from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Thursdays in the community room of Arnold Towers, 1528 Horne Blvd., Arnold. The Revs. Carmen Butler and Harold M. Mele Jr. will be the speakers. Details: 724-334-1849
• A community prayer hour will be at 1 p.m. Wednesday atPuckety Presbyterian Church Faith Hall, 1009 Puckety Church Road, Lower Burrell. Everyone is welcome.
• The Senior Choir of Grace Presbyterian Church, Kittanning, will present its annual Christmas cantata, “Lead Me Back to Bethlehem” at 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 16, at the church, 150 N Jefferson St. Donations will be accepted at the evening performance.
• Ford Memorial United Methodist Church will present the cantata “I Hear the Prophet Callin',” at 7 p.m. Dec. 15 at the church, 1024 Fourth Ave., Ford City. Details: 724-763-1540
• Center United Methodist Church, Fawn, will present the cantata “Peace, Hope and Joy” at 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday at the church, 1575 Donnellville Road. Donations will be accepted. Details: 724-226-2300
• Saxonburg Memorial Presbyterian Church will present, “Changed By a Baby Boy,” at 7 p.m. today and Sunday at the church, Main Street, Saxonburg. Members of the congregation will perform holiday songs and skits. Details: 724-352-2888
• The Ukrainian Men's Choir will be in concert at 6 p.m. today at Bible Baptist Church, 200 Elicker Road, Plum. Donations will be accepted.
• The Concordia Haven Chorus will sing the cantata “Master Composer” at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Haven 1 dining room, 112 Marwood Road, Jefferson. Refreshments will be served afterward. For information or reservations, call Donna Heintz at 724-352-1571, ext 8251.
Live Nativity scenes
• Abundant Joy Fellowship will have a live Nativity from 2 to 8 p.m. Dec. 15 at the church, 411 First Ave., Tarentum. Free cookies and hot chocolate will be served.
• The youth group of Zion United Methodist Church, Buffalo Township, will present a live Nativity today and Sunday along the cement walkway at the church, 438 Bear Creek Road. Performances will begin at 5, 6 and 7 p.m. each night. Refreshments will be served afterward. Details: 724-353-1720
• Evangel Heights Church, Buffalo Township, will have free walking tours of the Christmas story from 6 to 9:30 p.m. Dec. 15 and 16 at the church, 120 Beale Road. Guided tours will begin every 15 minutes. Refreshments will be available.
Send religion items and Christmas service notices to Carol Pinto-Smith, Valley News Dispatch, 210 Fourth Ave., Tarentum PA 15084, e-mail email@example.com or fax to 724-226-4677. Include an address for the event and phone number.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Armstrong County D.A.’s office to head jail escape probe
- Thirsty pit bull turned on Arnold neighbors
- Lower Burrell road closed due to waterline break
- Large crowd mourns Rayburn woman allegedly killed by escapee
- Police release video of Oklahoma hit-run crash
- Couple jailed after domestic assault in Gilpin
- Armstrong D.A.: Jail procedures will be reviewed in light of escape, murder
- Alcoa takes 2nd step for exemption in Burrell
- South Butler superintendent heads home for Mohawk job
- Captured Armstrong jail escapee Crissman’s criminal history
- Rainy summer delays paving projects in New Kensington