Remember When: Hospital patients report; Springdale fire
100 years ago
Citizens hospital issues report on patient status
Citizen's General Hospital reports that William Frampton, who was operated on for appendicitis, is doing very well; H. E. Shaffer, who is confined with rheumatism, is much better; William Lunney had a finger amputated and will be out in a few days.
75 years ago
Fire at Springdale Bard's extinguished quickly
Springdale firemen were called out when a small blaze was discovered in Bard's store, 810 Pittsburgh St., Springdale. Firemen soon extinguished the flames which were the result of a burning motor in an electric refrigerator.
50 years ago
L.B. City Council improves pedestrian safety
Lower Burrell City Council took .three steps toward pedestrian safety in the city. The proposals are: A city-constructed sidewalk along the full length of Leechburg Road; a cinder walking path up Puckety Church Road to Burrell Joint Junior High School; and an order that all new developers install their own sidewalks.
25 years ago
Devereaux Chevrolet celebrates 65 years; business started in 1923
Devereaux Chevrolet, Freeport, is celebrating its 65th birthday, making it the oldest new-car dealer in the Alle-Kiski Valley. T.E. Devereaux established Devereaux Motor Sales in 1923 on High Street in Freeport.
15 years ago
Markle Fire Department buys new fire truck
Markle Volunteer Fire Department bought new equipment for the first time in 25 years — a new fire truck. Allegheny Township's other fire department, Fire Company No. 1, also might get a new truck this year.
10 years ago
Belmont Complex fire destroys 1 building
An early-morning fire at the Belmont Complex in East Franklin destroyed the former Nutrition Inc. building and pool-house facilities. It also destroyed the Kittanning High School hockey team's new locker room. However, much of the hockey players' equipment was salvageable, and the arena itself was not seriously threatened.
Five years ago
Home Expo to be at Mills
This is the first year Pittsburgh Mills mall in Frazer has hosted the Strongland Chamber of Commerce Home Expo. It attracted about 150 vendors. Last year's event drew more than 7,000 people — but this year's topped that in a single day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Drownings surge in Pennsylvania over past 2 years
- Suspended Gilpin police officers to have their say
- Versatile U-PARC houses productive assortment
- Fire destroys Star Grill in Winfield
- 3 wrecks Saturday keep emergency responders busy
- Saxonburg police to take citizens behind the scenes with citizens ‘academy’
- Parks woman accused of burglarizing house
- Pickup takes out 40-foot pine tree in Harrison; officer injured
- TCS transcends small beginnings
- New Ken-Arnold board asked to mediate between football groups
- New Kensington-Arnold approves tentative, 3-year contract with teachers