Kiski Area school board OKs additions to school project worth $37,600
The Kiski Area School District will spend about $37,600 more on its new upper elementary school.
The school board on Monday approved nine change orders on the roughly $25 million project to enlarge the former North Washington Elementary School.
The change orders approved:
• East End Plumbing, $18,358 for additional kitchen piping, drainage and sump additions and roof drainage at canopies.
• A.J. Demor & Sons, $388 for upsizing pumps.
• Allegheny City Electric, $1,659 for additional circuits and a sump pump.
• Rycon Construction, $17,245 for revised storm inlets, steel revisions, and infill at the existing stage.
While a few residents questioned the change orders, board member Robert Keibler called them minimal.
Change orders on a project of this size could normally amount to $1 million. “You'll never see $1 million worth of change orders here,” he said.
The upper elementary school will house all of the district's fifth- and sixth-grade students. It is expected to open for the 2013-14 school year. Orientations are being planned for late August.
The board voted to change the name of the school from Kiski Area Upper Elementary Learning Center to Kiski Area Upper Elementary School.
Superintendent John Meighan said a committee of teachers and support staff suggested the change, because “learning center” could carry unwanted connotations.
The new school is the cornerstone of the district's $30 million elementary school building project, which calls for closing Bell-Avon, Laurel Point and Washington elementary schools.
A state-required public hearing on closing Bell-Avon will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the board room at the administration building on Hyde Park Road in Allegheny Township.
In other business
• The board approved assistant varsity track coach positions for Joey Tutchstone, Eugene Dellemonache, Amanda Koch and Marissa Rolling. Each will be paid $4,610. Dan Clair was named an assistant girls junior high volleyball coach at $3,281.
Brian C. Rittmeyer is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-226-4701 or email@example.com.